Saturday, April 09, 2011
SNL WITH HELEN MIRREN AND THE FOO FIGHTERS
Tonight's SNL features Helen Mirren as host(ess) and The Foo Fighters.
We did a running commentary on TWITTER:
Here are the notes from the show -- inverse order, last to first -- (Hey, this comes from the twitter feed: each tweet sits on top of those that came before!)
SNL WITH HELEN MIRREN AND THE FOO FIGHTERS:
- All in all a sub-par show. Mostly bad writing. Cheap and offensive jokes using Taliban, Pearl Harbor, etc. Little energy.
- Is the ad for EZ Seed a sketch? Sounds like it. (OMG I think it's real.)
- Bongo's Clown Room - Terrible sketch. Bad MC retiring from a bad strip joint. Concept has potential. Writing, execution sucks.
- Penile Pix Enhancements -- Here's my complete analysis of this sketch: "It's about penile pix enhancements."
- TV About Movie - Unpleasant; offensive. Ouch. Funny cheap jokes. But Ouch.
- Crunk-Ass Easter Festival - This kind of thing leaves me cold, but seems to be SNL Bread & Butter. I don't get it.
- Best of Both Worlds - with Hugh Jackman - Effete & Macho -- For once a sketch with a lame setup and a great payoff. (Usually the opposite.)
- Weekend Update - Some good jokes with flat space in between.
- Weekend Update - French parties: They start with cruditay and they end with nuditay!
- Weekend Update - Southwest Stewardess: "I felt that the top of the plane was maybe not there as it had been..."
- Weekend Update - Carville - I was left in the Mississippi in a basket and raised by eels. Can I say Hello to my mama: "Aaarggh"
- Weekend Update - Kate Middleton's 6 hairdressers will be cartoon bluebirds -
- Foo Fighters -- I think maybe SNL music sets must have to be really really really loud to sound good.
- Mary Shelley - Good concept (the real source of "Frankenstein") but totally lame writing and execution.
Note: Gwyneth Paltrow & Cee Low Green April 16 (repeat from Jan 16)
- Fox & Friends - Fact checking (everything) -- but sketch is mostly lame. Not yet a good night for political jokes.
- Helen Mirren's Titties -- What SNL was made for!
- Helen Mirren in her Dressing Room -- "Her titties exist in a place beyond space & time."
- Mort Feingold Accountant for the Stars -- Lame jokes, mildly offensive (that's not a compliment), badly written, badly executed.
- AD - GAME OF THRONES - Has STARZ (Spartacus) spawned a slew of cable period pix?
- Monologue - Helen Mirren -- she's a dame -- (By the way, did you see her in the orgy scene in Caligula?)
- Opening: Obama - The compromise keeping the gov't open leaves EVERYONE deeply unhappy ... so we can be proud of America! Overall, not very insightful or funny.
- Live tonight with Helen Mirren & The Foo Fighters NBC -
Here are some archived running commentaries on a few recent SNL's...
SNL WITH ELSTON JOHN - April 2, 2011
SNL - ZACH GALIFIANAKIS & JESSIE J - March 12, 2011
SNL WITH HOST: RUSSELL BRAND - Feb 12, 2011
SNL - DANA CARVEY & LINKIN PARK - Feb 5, 2011
SNL 1/29/2011 JESSE EISENBERG
And, of course...
SNL Who Do I Have To Screw To Get A Drink Around Here?
Tweet this story!