Sunday, November 10, 2019
EXTENDED REALITY: TECHNOLOGY AND CULTURE
Quick Previews Of Random Interesting Things in XR News
TODAY: 2019-11-11 (MON, NOV 12, 2019)
- started today, with a huge library.
- There were some outages.
- Disney's streaming service comes in as a big new wave of new movies, old movies, new and old TV series, and other specials, comes to your TV and computer.
- Some of the existing services are Netflix, Apple TV+, Hulu (majority owned by Disney), and Amazon Prime (plus other a la carte videos on Amazon); some in the works are ATT/Warner HBO Max, and NBC's Peacock; plus ESPN+ for sports (also owned by Disney).
- There is also Roku, which seems like a streaming services aggregator.
2019-11-11 (MON, NOV 11, 2019)
THE IGDA - THE INTERNATIONAL GAME DEVELOPER'S ASSOCIATION
- is a terrific resource for anyone interested in game development.
- The New York Chapter is active and has a very valuable newsletter - a new edition is out today!
- To join or subscribe:
TECHNOLOGY - COMMERCE
SINGLES DAY - THE ALIBABA SHOPPING 24 HOUR "HOLIDAY"
- seems to be the biggest shopping day of the year, anywhere in the world.
- This year, today, the Chinese company's event brought in a record breaking tally of more than $38B, and more than a 25% increase over last year.
- the premiere institution for training producers of commercial (Broadway, Off-Broadway, Regional, non-profit, ...) theatrical productions, will be holding a two-day seminar on theater marketing this Thurday (11/14) and Friday.
- The speakers are top professionals.
- I've attended a number of events at CTI. They are terrific!
HOUSE IMPEACHMENT INQUIRY HEARINGS
- begin at 10 AM Wed November 13.
- They can be watched on CSPAN, many cable news network channels, and livestreamed online on Committee websites.
- It is likely the videos of the livestream will remain on the Committee websites for on-demand viewing.
2019-11-10 (SUN, NOV 10, 2019)
- announced "Power Virtual Agents" (PVA) at MICROSOFT IGNITE.
- PVA is currently in a limited Beta. It seems to be a point-drag-click, "no-programming" (pdc-np) interface to create simple bots that access the MS AI engines. Programming is possible to create more powerful agents, but at the expense of never returning to the PVA.
- resigned as President of Bolivia, as protests racked the country.
- He had served as President since 2006.
- In 2009 he visited the US along with Hugo Chavez of Venezuela, for the screening of Oliver Stone's SOUTH OF THE BORDER at the New York Film Festival. Chavez and Morales visited with a delegation of the press at the Festival and took questions, (tho' Chavez did almost all the talking). Chavez then spoke at length to the whole audience at the screening for the Press and the Industry.
Evo Morales, Oliver Stone, and Hugo Chavez
Photo by Eric Roffman - QPORIT
- is scheduled to close on January 5, 2020.
- directed by Joel Grey; at Stage 42, 422 W 42 St
- https://fiddlernyc.com/ .
DAVID HENRY HWANG'S SOFT POWER
- currently running at the Public Theater had it's origins in a hate crime, when the author was stabbed in the neck, from behind, near his home in Brooklyn, which was fortunately -- he said in an interview on the radio -- near a local hospital. It deals with politics and Chinese-American relations, "from China's point of view."
- directed by Leigh Silverman, music by Jeanine Tesori.
- The play runs another week, until November 17, 2019.
- www.publictheater.org .
- is in production to return on STARZ, according to Variety. Mary-Louise Parker will star and executive produce.
- Parker is a brilliant actress, current starring on Broadway in THE SOUND INSIDE.
- The world, & weed, have changed drastically since the series ended. There is a wonderful new universe of possibilities to explore if they embrace the present.
2019-11-09 (SAT, NOV 09, 2019)
THE NOVEMBER-DECEMBER ISSUE OF FILM COMMENT
with stories on...
- Greta Gerwig on her adaptation of LITTLE WOMEN (Release date: 12/25/19; with cast including Saoirse Ronan, Emma Watson, Timothée Chalamet, James Norton and Meryl Streep)
- THE IRISHMAN (Premiered at the NYFF; coming to Netflix; directed by Martin Scorsese; with Robert De Niro, Jesse Plemons, Al Pacino, Anna Paquin)
- Céline Sciamma, on her film, PORTAIT OF A WOMAN ON FIRE (In French; release date: 12/06/19; with Adele Haenel)
GRETA GERWIG IN THE NYT
FILM AT LINCOLN CENTER (FLC) FREE TALK:
- JOHN SAYLES: WORK & CLASS IN MOVIES
- Mon Nov 11, 7 PM
NOTHING TO SEE HERE a novel by KEVIN WILSON
- received one of the strongest reviews I have ever seen in the NYT Book Review.
- NYTBR cover story, Sun Nov 10, 2019; review by Taffy Brodesser-Akner.
STEPHEN ADLY GUIRGIS' HALFWAY BITCHES GO STRAIGHT TO HEAVEN
November 14 to December 22, 2019
- Directed by John Ortiz; cast includes David Anzuelo, Elizabveth Canavan; an Atlantic Theater, LAByrinth Theater production; at the Linda Gross Theater, 336 West 20th St NYC
ODON VON HORVATH'S JUDGEMENT DAY
December 5, 2019 to January 11, 2020
- THE PARK AVENUE ARMORY
- Adapted by Christopher Shinn; directed by Richard Jones; at the Park Avenue Armory 643 Park Ave at 66th, NYC
ARTIST TALK: Richard Jones and the creative team on JUDGEMENT DAY
Thursday, Dec 12 at 6:00
- THE PARK AVENUE ARMORY -- 643 Park Ave at 66th, NYC
VOICE SUMMIT -- ANNOUNCED FOR 2020
October 5-8 2020 -- Washington DC
- I attended Voice Summit 2019; it was excellent!
MICROSOFT HAS BEGUN SHIPPING THE HOLOLENS 2 (~$3,500)
MICROSOFT: FREE TOUR
- of their 5th Ave New York stores is available on request.
- I did this recently. It's very interesting. The tour includes a visit to their professional gaming live streaming floor, their (amazing!!!) anyone-can-use free gaming floor, and a Hololens demo.
- Just walk in and request a tour. They are available hourly.
SELECTED RECENT STORIES IN QPORIT
SELECTED RECENT STORIES IN QPORIT
NYXR - THE NEW YORK EXTENDED REALITY MEETUP
Review: SILICON VALLEY
2019 NOBEL PRIZE AWARDS
SURFACE EVENT AT MICROSOFT
COLBERT INTERVIEWS JULIA-LOUIS DREYFUS
TEST MARKET PREDICTIONS
MRS MAISEL RETURNS
NEWS ROUNDUP OF THE 2019 NYFF
ELON MUSK & THE NEURALINK BRAIN MACHINE
LIBRA: DAVID MARCUS' CONGRESSIONAL TESTIMONY
Sunday, November 03, 2019
Review: SILICON VALLEY (HBO)
SUNDAYS – 10:00 to 10:30
The short review: It’s funny! Smart! Skewers high tech pretentions!
This is the sixth and alas! final season for the series.
Finding the humor in the world of start-up high technology development, Silicon Valley (SV) becomes a worthy successor to Doonesbury. While Doonesbury illuminated the foolishness of managers, SV describes a full set of coders in the trenches, innocent entrepreneurs, and the wild world of predatory companies and venture capital investors.
The characters are sharply drawn, enacted with skill by actors whose comedy is heightened by not being “funny”. The problems that the characters face are real, and the characters themselves… well I’ve met many of them in real life, and IRL they are just like that, but not funny.
The spine of the show is the contrast between the expectation, beliefs and actions that are current in the tech world, and a rather more accurate portrayal of the reality: One segment from a past season, portrayed a character delighted to be picked up for a meeting in a self-driving car that comes by itself to get him. Unfortunately, on the way to the meeting, the car remotely gets a change of destination instructions, and the character remains trapped in the car as it gets carried overseas on a container ship.
The startup, Pied Piper, the center of the show, keeps pivoting – in both its product focus and its strategy -- to find a path through the maze of startup friction.
The current, sixth, and final season seems likely to put the spotlight on Pied Piper’s efforts to create a new internet, free of the problems of our current internet. It vows not to capture personal data for exploitation. This goal seems to have encountered its first challenge in episode one, when a game that was not supposed to collect personal data, did. And when the game designer, blackmailed with recordings of his misdeeds to force him to go to his Board and resign, went to his Board, it seemed they took his “misdeeds” as great work.
It’s always fun and challenging to try to imagine how a series will end, as it gets into its final season:
Here we have a small company, run by a brilliant programmer, (but a less savvy, though always resourceful and dedicated entrepreneur); one that we root for, while suffering one setback, after another advance, after another setback, after another; a company that seems in no position -- with just a few episodes left -- to either succeed or fail big enough to provide any satisfying conclusion… at least any that I can easily predict (but which I do believe the terrific writing & directing team will invent)!
It’s a great series! Start now, (or, even better, find a way to go back and see the whole series from the beginning)!
One of the series regulars, Kumail Nanjiani, was at the Hamptons International Film Festival in 2017. He and his wife had just made The Big Sick, and he was one of the year’s 10 Actors to Watch. He was very impressive, sharp, witty and intelligent in several events at the Festival.
SILICON VALLEY – IMDB
SILICON VALLEY WIKIPEDIA
Thomas Middleditch -- Richard Hendricks -- star coder & entrepreneur
Josh Brener -- Nelson 'Big Head' Bighetti -- upward failing coder
Martin Starr -- Bertram Gilfoyle -- expert coder
Kumail Nanjiani -- Dinesh Chugtai -- coder
Amanda Crew -- Monica Hall -- sympathetic venture investor
Zach Woods -- Donald 'Jared' Dunn -- very supportive assistant
Matt Ross -- Gavin Belson -- owner of a big competitor
Jimmy O. Yang -- Jian Yang -- competitor
Suzanne Cryer -- Laurie Bream -- humorless venture capitalist
T.J. Miller -- Erlich Bachman -- schemer (in first few seasons)
Chris Diamantopoulos -- Russ Hanneman -- mercurial investor